Wednesday, March 22, 2006

To Sleep is to Dream...

I have got to stop watching Six Feet Under before I got to bed. A friend suggested that I start the series (so I am renting it from Netflix). It's so addicting that when I get home from school or work and if I have the series I want to watch it. But after watching it, you sorta don't want to go to sleep because what if its your time.

I guess not wanting to die is part of the reason why is stay up. But as I was watching this particular episode, the lady had been dead for a week and no one knew. Then that got me to thinking. What if I died last night in my sleep? Well how long would it take for someone to notice. Well work would have noticed on Thursday morning that I wasn't present (because the computer labs would not be open). So, my cell phone would have been called. But then what happens after that? They might just think I over slept and I am not answering my cell phone.

Then I was thinking what about my roommates, when would they notice. Well then it got me thinking, my mail would start to stack up and then I guess after a few days I might start to smell. So, if I died on a Tuesday night, I suppose by Friday I would start decomposing and maybe smelling. But would they just think wow Russell's got some funk coming from his room.

Then it got me thinking, at what point would people begin to notice something wrong, I know my classmates and co-workers would notice. I suppose once my mail started to pile up where my roommates would notice, then perhaps something would be done. They probably would knock on my door and see if I was in...maybe.

So, anyone else thought about this or am I just being overly morbid?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.. found your link on another similar blog. Just wanted to let you know that I have thought stuff like that. Maybe not in the way you said, but more afterwards. Who would care if I died, who would show up at my funeral? It can be depressing. Anyways. I like your blog.

Take care.
-Christine.

3/26/2006 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger Estelle said...

Hi. I found your blog a few days ago and just started reading it (big fan so far).
I use to feel like this all the time. It was horrible. You think that no one loves you and that you are not good enough and you send the weekend talking to your two best guy friends, Ben and Jerry. Then something or someone comes
along and you realize that things might not be so bad after all.
In other words, no you're not morbid.
^_^
Always,
Esther

3/30/2006 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger Russell L. Smith said...

I am glad to see that I have more people interested in my blog. I look forward to more comments. Thank you both.

4/02/2006 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger Christi Nielsen said...

My Ben and Jerry comes in the form of a bottle with a cork, but then you knew that.

4/02/2006 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Russell L. Smith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/03/2006 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger Christi Nielsen said...

I would notice if you weren't there to chat with me until the wee hours of the morning.

4/11/2006 06:13:00 PM  
Blogger Russell L. Smith said...

thank you Christi.

4/13/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger The Catapillar said...

Don't worry you are not alone. I have thought about this as well. The other thing I think of a lot(since I feel like confessing) is who and how many people would come to my funeral. I guess that part may be weird.

Big fan of your blog. :)

4/15/2006 02:32:00 AM  
Blogger Russell L. Smith said...

Catapillar - I don't think that is apart of being weird, I think that is a part of being human. We all question our mortality some point in our lives. I have thought about who would come to my funeral. But heck now, I sorta plan my funeral, I want people to have a party and not be sad. Now that might be weird.

4/15/2006 01:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home